How to Choose Between Independent Living or Assisted Living
While planning your retirement, you may have discovered there are many lifestyle options to choose from: aging at home, independent living, assisted living or living with family. In this article, we highlight the two most popular options, independent and assisted living. Learn more about each option and discover which is the right fit for you.
What is Independent Living?
Independent living is a great lifestyle choice for seniors who can care for themselves. These seniors typically don’t have serious medical issues that require constant monitoring or caregiver assistance. They can live and enjoy life as they did at home.
Senior living communities like Village on the Green are attractive to autonomous seniors because in addition to being able to retain their independent lifestyles, they can experience all of the advantages of living in a community.
The Benefits of an Independent Living Lifestyle
Being with like-minded peers, participating in fun community activities, onsite medical staff and health services are just some of the benefits of this lifestyle choice. Senior communities empower residents to live worry-free independent lifestyles that cater to their interests and hobbies.
Other benefits of independent living at a community like Village on the Green include:
- Security and safety. Residents enjoy living in a protected community as opposed to living alone at home.
- Fine Dining. Community members enjoy exclusive culinary masterpieces prepared by a five-star chef.
- Efficient maintenance and housekeeping. If your apartment requires minor maintenance or even major repairs, our maintenance team members take care of issues promptly. Housekeeping staff are also available.
- Time to focus on YOU. Now that you don’t have to worry about cooking, cleaning or maintenance, you can focus on your interests and passions. Maybe you’ll discover a hidden talent!
What is Assisted Living?
Assisted living, on the other hand, is catered to seniors who need help with everyday daily activities such bathing, dressing, or cooking. However, this doesn’t mean you have to give up your independence. Communities like Village on the Green offer an assisted living lifestyle that lets you retain your independence while still being able to rely on necessary support.
The Benefits of an Assisted Living Lifestyle
If you’re concerned that choosing an assisted living lifestyle means less freedom, we want to assure you that’s not the case. Here are some of the benefits of choosing an assisted living community
- Independence with assistance. It’s easy to ask for help at any time, for virtually any reason. A compassionate nurse or aide can assist you with many daily activities.
- Customized medical care. Personalized care for your unique health needs.
- Round-the-clock-care. If at any time you start to require more intensive care, our medical team will adjust to your needs accordingly.
Which Lifestyle Should You Choose?
When choosing a retirement lifestyle, there’s a lot to consider. Use the following questions as a guide to deciding between independent or assisted living.
- Are you able to get dressed, shower and brush your teeth without any help?
- Do you think you’ll need help in the future with any daily tasks?
- What is your current health condition?
- Are you at risk for any serious health conditions in the future?
- Does your physician recommend either type of lifestyle?
- Do your loved ones have concerns or recommend a particular type of lifestyle?
This list is a good starting point to better understanding your current and future living requirements. Whichever option you choose, you want to live a fulfilling and enjoyable life, so be sure to select a lifestyle that offers you both the freedom and support that best suits your needs.
Explore Living Options at Village on the Green
For both independent and assisted living residents, Village on the Green cultivates enriching lifestyles. Take a tour of our gorgeous campus to gain a more comprehensive view of what life is like here. Contact us to book a tour or learn more about our services and amenities.